Info & Other Stuff
Forest School Nursery
Being outdoors and more specifically in nature is incredibly important to the health and happiness of our children. Children are at risk from busy lives, a lack of countryside available to play and now being kept on a tighter leash and wrapped in cotton wool. That's the natural caring tendencies of their parents along with things being dangerously heightened by media generated fear. At Childfirst we encourage outdoor play allowing children to fully discover the great outdoors themselves and embrace new discoveries.
Our Northampton Nursery boasts 3 acres of forest where children can listen to new sounds, plant and also harvest their own organic food.
“Over 30% of brain development is down to good nutrition and we treat it as an essential part of each child’s learning and well being”
We know that almost 50% of the calories that young children consume are used to support their intense brain activity and that 30% of our foundation is based on what and how we eat.Encouraging children to explore eating and to ensure a balance is as vital as having the opportunity to discover through play.
So giving children the opportunity to see, hear and smell food and being able to serve themselves from an early age will be beneficial to the child.Therefore our catering team are an integral part of our nursery as we encourage children to explore and take part in the whole process of growing, preparing, cooking and eating a healthy, balanced diet.
Wherever possible we will grow our own food or source it locally, we will use only the freshest ingredients and we will aim to make as much of our food as we can, including bread and pasta.Meal times are relaxed and sociable with the adults eating alongside the children, who are encouraged to serve themselves.Our menus are always displayed and we are able to cater for special dietary requirements.
A Little Bit Of Help
The first four years of life are increasingly seen as the most valuable and vulnerable and we believe this is where the resources are best placed to ensure the most positive outcome for children and their future, and our view is that staff should be of a high calibre and increasingly well rewarded.
We do recognise that parents may not be aware of the various ways that they might get assistance in meeting the costs of fees. So we try to keep you abreast of the ways and we are happy to try to assist if we can:
1. Childcare Tax Credits may be available
2. Your employer can convert part of your salary for Childcare Assistance – directly to us or via Vouchers
3. If your employer promotes us we may offer up to 5% discount.
4. The Free School Funding at 3 and 4 assist and is available.
5. Siblings discounts are 10% part time and 15% if full time off of the second and subsequent children.
6. Childfirst are also pleased to offer a 5% NHS discount. Please discuss this with a member of staff for further information.
7. If you recommend a friend you get up to £125 after they have attended 3 months NB discounts are not cumulative – they relate to the net paid fee at each stage We also maintain a policy which commits us to never increasing the fees by more that RPI plus 2% on the 1st September each year, so you can plan your budgets with confidence.
From the time your child is born, their development accelerates. From inception to the age of four, 85% of their brains capacity is achieved.
They are born able to understand everything in the world but only retain that which they experience, so the more and better they experience, the more they retain.
We are increasingly aware that the growth and development is fuelled by four main factors:
1. Appropriate nutrition – less salt – less pre-made – more fresh – more water
2. Appropriate exercise – exciting adventurous opportunities to be outside
3. Appropriate stimulation – hearing language, watching smiles, being offered choice.
4. More human and less artificial stimulation – so no computers (although wedo embrace other technologies)
And we want to help you to meet the needs of your children by offering our expertise and resources to you as parents and carers.
The way in which we work, through ‘owned choice’ is available as a booklet for any and all parents and we really do welcome observations and comments.